Sunday, February 24, 2013

Living




So I haven't updated in a while, because there isn't really anything new to report. Bennie is doing great and is almost 100 percent just in time to get re-admitted tomorrow for round 2. We have had a pretty normal two weeks, and loved every second. Emmi isn't too happy knowing about this next week. However, we have had some blessings develop in the last couple weeks. Rewind back to September..... My parents decided to go to Hawaii for their 30th wedding anniversary. I was giving them a hard time telling them Bennie and I would be turning 30 too. They thought it would be fun for us to go too, and it would be great for us to have a nice trip together. We haven't had an alone trip since we got married.... So we were so excited. We had Bennies 30th birthday party, and it was a Luau theme to celebrate our excitement. My parents had bought our plane tickets, rented a house for two weeks, had all the activities planned, and then January comes. When the Dr. was talking to us about Bennie's cancer treatments the first thing he said was can I still go to Hawaii? In our minds we had completely written off the idea that we could go. Ultimately the Dr.s said yes... They want people to go. When you have a diagnosis like this there are far too many people who fight to live but don't live while they are fighting. So the Dr. encouraged him to keep his plans, and even said they would reschedule anything around it. I was worried about the plane ride, but the Dr reminded me that people fly into Houston from all over the world to get treated at MD Anderson...and have to fly back afterwards. There are hospitals in Hawaii if anything comes up. I have even met a lady whose husband started the same treatment at the same time, and they live and are getting treated in the same town we are visiting. So, hopefully we can meet them when we go. So, before Bennie got diagnosed we were going to go to Hawaii alone, and leave the kids. We were already wondering how we could leave the kids for 7 whole days.... But we have had to leAve them now for 7 days while Bennie was in the hospital, and now for another 7 days next week. There would be no way we could go without them, and so they are coming too!! They are sooooo excited. This will be the first plane ride for Colby, and the first plane ride Bennie and I will go on together. So we are praying so hard next week goes off without a hitch, and we can get outta here!!! We are scheduled to depart two weeks from Monday. I am going to decorate Bennie's hospital room in Hawaiian things to lift his spirits when it gets tough. We couldn't pass up going on this trip.... It's our birthday and Christmas presents from my parents for the next couple of years! Hawaii is not the best place to vacation when you have skin cancer and sensitive skin, but we have to modify our activities and protect his skin with SPF shirts and a touristy hat!!! And Bennie is worried if the cancer does get worse instead of better, he may not be in a condition where he would be able to enjoy it like he feels now. Right now he feels better after a week or so, and he would rather be recovering in Hawaii than the couch at home. So, like the Dr said "if you are going to fight to live....then live!" We are going to live!! When else would we get a paid for vacation to Hawaii... Unless my parents choose not to come back!! I'm glad that my parents are taking us to Hawaii.... They have been to Spain, Germany, half of Europe, California, Pittsburgh, and I'm forgetting some others I didn't get invited to in the last two years. I guess they saved the best for me! Wahoo! My cousins Brandon and Jen are coming too!! They live in Dallas, so we don't get to see much of eachother.

Bennie gets admitted again tomorrow, and most likely will get his first dose on Tuesday morning. We ask for prayers for an uneventful week, and a fast recovery!!!

Thank you, and I will keep you updated daily now. (Also I typed this from my iPhone in a blogger app... So there may be a lot of grammatical errors)

No comments:

Post a Comment