Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Protect the Skin You Are In

One of the many questions that people ask Bennie and me is what sunscreen we use since being diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma.  I was going to make a list of some websites and links for what we have seen first hand that has worked (and we have tried a ton of products!)

We both learned of this sunscreen through a fellow blogger whose husband has stage 4 melanoma as well!  Her husband also goes to MD Anderson, and I've looked to her as the one of my most helpful mentors through this whole battle: www.martinfamilyjourney.blogspot.com

Anyhow... the sunscreen is www.bluelizard.net
We used it the entire time we were in Hawaii this spring, and none of our family members were sunburned!! It is a little pricier than other sunscreens, but it is great for sensitive skin and they even have a version to use for babies.  It is super thick, and we have found that it offers the best protection!!  You can order it through their website, or amazon as well.  I heard through the grapevine that Target was trying to carry it in their stores, but I haven't seen it there.  I should know since I am there every other day!!


One sunscreen not to get is the aerosol cans.  They are definitely really easy to use, especially for toddlers on the run, but it doesn't get consistent coverage.  Also, our Dr.'s have said they aren't sure what the inhalation of those fumes could do to little lungs.  So... even though it's easy....better safe than sorry!  Once you make sunscreen a part of your daily routine then your little one won't care too much they are getting slathered down with goop!

In addition to sunscreen Bennie also wears SPF clothing daily as well.  We have also purchased special  shirts and hats for all of us for when we will be in the sun all day!  Here are a couple links to check out for sun protection clothing:

www.columbia.com
www.coolibar.com
www.rei.com
www.outdoorresearch.com

Those are a few of the stores that we frequent!  I was having a talk with someone about how they hated that they were so pale..... but I reminded her its better to be pale and have skin that doesn't age than to be tan and have a scar on your left arm that looks like a great white shark took a chunk out of!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I can honestly say that I learned something new. I found it to be very informative and I admire that you're advocating to help others. My name is Emily and I wanted to know if you could answer a quick question about your blog. Please feel free to email me when you get the chance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete